Chinese cuisine has a special place in our hearts, especially when it comes to the tantalizing flavors of takeaway favorites.
One dish that stands out with its irresistible crunch and spicy kick is the Crispy Chilli Chicken. The good news? You can recreate this mouth-watering dish in your own kitchen, and it’s surprisingly simple!
Imagine biting into perfectly crispy chicken, coated in a sweet and spicy chilli glaze – that’s what this recipe promises.
In just 30 minutes, you can serve up a dish that’s sure to impress, with enough to delight three lucky diners. And at 380 calories per serving, it’s a treat you can indulge in guilt-free.
To embark on this culinary adventure, you’ll need:
- 300g of chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- A generous 100g of cornflour
- 1 teaspoon of garlic and ginger paste
- The white of one egg
- A couple of spring onions for that extra pop of flavor
- And of course, vegetable oil for frying
For the Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of garlic and ginger paste
- A teaspoon each of sesame oil, sugar, and white pepper
And the Stir Fry Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of honey for that sweet touch
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha, to dial up the heat
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
With your ingredients ready, you’re set to create a dish that’s a feast for the senses. Stay tuned as we delve into the art of preparing and cooking your Crispy Chilli Chicken to perfection.
A Step-by-Step Cooking Guide:
Creating this delectable dish involves a dance of flavors and techniques, ensuring every bite is a crunchy, spicy delight. Let’s dive into the heart of the cooking process.
- Marinating the Chicken: Begin by laying out your thinly sliced chicken breast in a large mixing bowl. Introduce the marinade ingredients: dark soy sauce, garlic and ginger paste, sesame oil, sugar, and white pepper. Ensure each strip of chicken is well-coated, letting it soak in the flavors for at least 10 minutes. This marination process is crucial, as it allows the chicken to absorb the rich flavors, setting the stage for a delicious final product.
- Preparing the Stir Fry Sauce: While your chicken is marinating, grab a smaller bowl for your stir fry sauce. Combine the dark soy sauce, honey, sriracha, and lemon juice. Mix them well and set aside. This sauce will bring the sweet and spicy glaze to your crispy chicken, balancing the flavors perfectly.
- Coating the Chicken: Once your chicken has marinated, add the egg white to the bowl. Mix it thoroughly with the chicken, ensuring each piece is well-coated. Now, sprinkle the cornflour over the chicken, tossing the pieces until they are all evenly covered. This cornflour coating is the secret to achieving that irresistible crispy texture.
- Frying to Perfection: Heat your oil in a wok or frying pan to 180°C. Carefully add the coated chicken pieces, frying them for 1 to 2 minutes until they start to turn golden. Be mindful not to overcrowd the pan; you might need to work in batches. Once all the chicken pieces have been fried, give them a second round in the hot oil for another 2 to 3 minutes. This double frying method ensures an extra crispy finish.
- Bringing the Sauce Together: In a clean pan, add a tablespoon of oil and briefly fry the garlic and ginger paste. This step helps to release the aromatic flavors. Pour in your prepared stir fry sauce, stirring continuously for about 30 seconds or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Coating the Chicken in Sauce: Now that your sauce has thickened to perfection, introduce the crispy chicken pieces to the pan. Gently toss them until each piece is generously coated in the sweet and spicy glaze. This step is crucial as it ensures that every bite is packed with flavor.
- Garnishing for Extra Flair: Chop the spring onions finely and sprinkle them over the chicken. This not only adds a burst of color to your dish but also introduces a fresh, zesty flavor that complements the spicy chicken perfectly.
- Ready to Serve: Your Crispy Chilli Chicken is now ready to hit the plate. Serve it hot, straight from the pan, and watch as it disappears in no time. The combination of crispy chicken, spicy glaze, and fresh spring onions is irresistible.
Storing and Reheating:
If you find yourself with leftovers, don’t worry. Place the chicken in an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply reheat it in a pan until it’s hot throughout. Keep in mind that the chicken may lose some of its crispiness upon reheating, but it will still be delicious.
Ensure your oil is hot enough before frying the chicken to achieve the perfect crispiness.
Don’t skip the double frying method; it’s key to getting that takeaway-style crunch.
Feel free to adjust the amount of sriracha in the sauce if you prefer a milder or spicier dish.
This dish is not only delicious but also relatively light on calories, with approximately 380 kcal per serving.
It provides a good balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fats, making it a satisfying and flavorful option for your meal rotation.
Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect nutritionally from a serving of this dish:
- Calories: 380 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 26g
- Vitamin A: 117IU
- Vitamin C: 10mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- Iron: 2mg
This nutritional breakdown provides a comprehensive view of what each serving of this delicious dish brings to the table, helping you make informed choices about your meals. Enjoy your homemade Crispy Chilli Chicken, knowing exactly what’s in it!
Creating Crispy Chilli Chicken at home is a rewarding experience, resulting in a dish that’s packed with flavor and crunch.
By following these steps and tips, you’ve mastered a Chinese takeaway classic, ready to impress at your next meal. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and don’t forget to savor every crispy, spicy bite!